Thursday, July 16, 2009

Little House on the Prairie


Back in the spring I decided I would start a garden.  Was it a long lost dream?  No.  I think I had been watching one too many recorded episodes of Martha Stewart.  That dang Martha, she makes me feel like such a loser.  So, in an effort to make myself feel better I had to at least keep up with her, to some degree.

For Valentine's Day I asked the old man to build some planter boxes.  Oh how romantic!  Well, after ten years you begin to run out of ideas, so I came up with a useful present.  So out of the middle of nowhere the boxes were made.  I planted tomatoes...lots and lots of tomatoes.  Then, for some herbs-Cilantro, basil, rosemary, and parsley.

Doesn't it remind you of the Scarborough Fair song?  "Are you going to Scarborough Fair?  Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme."

It doesn't?  Well, anyway...

They were once teeny tiny plants, and now look at them.  I am so proud.

Just ignore whatever is to the left of the basil.
WAIT!  Wait a minute, do you see that?  We need a close up here folks.
Why yes!  Yes it is, my very own tomato.  Ta da!  If I never grow anything else, at least I can say I grew a tomato...once.
Fine.  This is what was to the left of the basil.  I knew I would be hounded if I did not at least show you.  It is almost too sad to look at...too much death and destruction.  This WAS the cilantro.  It is the one herb that I don't have to go out of my way to use and I don't have a one sprig.

Having this little garden makes me feel so capable.  I would like to thank YOU...Martha Stewart, for inspiring me.  So now maybe I won't need Bear Grylls by my side when the destruction of 2012 comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment