Thursday, June 11, 2009

I made it!

I don't know about you, but when I was growing up I spent a lot of time watching TV.  Yes, I know, this may come as a shock to most.  Calm down.  Anyway, the channel of luxury for me was channel 13, PBS, since I didn't have cable until college.  I am well versed in Julia Child and the Frugal Gourmet.  Here and there I would sneak in a little Nova and a maybe a documentary.  Of all my PBS watching, my all time favorite of favorites was an ice cream documentary called "The Ice Cream Story".  That thing came on once a year and I watched it every year.

To make a long story short, at the end they would travel to Hawaii to interview the owner of the Matsumoto Grocery Store where they specialize in shave ice.  My little heart would melt every year yearning for this "shave ice", just wondering what this foreign concoction tasted like.  I have always been a snow cone fan and this with it's sweet beans and ice cream sounded, well, down right magical.

Well, my day came dang it.  
I came, I saw, I conquered.  I had my first bite of the famous Matsumoto Shave Ice with Azuki beans and ice cream and it was...uh...good (shrugging shoulders).  I've uh...had better in Texas.

What?  I came all the way here and it was good.  I mean I wasn't going to just throw it in the trash or anything hysterical like that.  I would just like to say that as a snow cone connoisseur, it was alright-nothing special.

No comments:

Post a Comment